In 2005, Chumkriel Language School (CLS) started in a small classroom, teaching English to 100 children. Today it has a dedicated school building, agricultural garden and sports field, and is teaching a comprehensive curriculum to the children of the local community, including teaching English to over 500 children.
Guided by a philosophy of a hand-up rather than a hand-out, CLS offers:
- Daily classes in Khmer subjects, health & hygiene, and basic English for over 100 primary-age children.
- A library where reading skills are fostered.
- Computer classes for secondary students.
- English classes attended by over 500 children.
- A sports field for informal recreation and organized sports
- A garden to teach children and their families how to grow their own vegetables.
- A Soup Kitchen providing daily lunch for 35 children.
- Cooperation with an adjoining government school, sharing facilities and resources to improve opportunities for its students.
- Free transport from the salt fields to the government school for up to 30 local children.
- Scholarships for children to attend high school or university.
All of these facilities and resources are only possible thanks to the support of our generous donor community. Read more about their support and find out how you can join them.